Two years in, a closer look at the Horizon 2020results and project examples contained in this brochure drafted by the Directorate General for Research and Innovation, clearly demonstrates the huge potential in Europe for excellent research and innovation and for turning it into economic value and a better quality of life.
- Over 76,400 eligible proposals were submitted for calls in the first two years of Horizon 2020, requesting a total EU financial contribution of €125.4bn.
- Around 9,200 proposals were retained for funding. The overall success rate of eligible full proposals in the first two years is 11.8%. Oversubscription is therefore a main concern.
- Over 9,000 grant agreements were signed by 1 September 2016, with a budget allocation of over €15.9bn in EU funding.
- More than 90% of all grant agreements were signed within the legal target of eight months.
- Around 49% of the participants in Horizon 2020 are newcomers.
- The 20% budget target for the funding of small and medium-sized enterprises was achieved.